As I was going through my calendar looking at all our upcoming events I came across my birthday. Normally I look forward to my birthdays but not this year. This year is not just any ordinary birthday, oh no, this year is the dreaded 30th! It’s not just the end of a decade but the end of an era! It’s the end of being able to blame things on being young and innocent. Okay the innocent part is a stretch but the young part still applies. It’s the point in your life when you are officially an adult, even if you don’t act like one or want to be one. Don’t get me wrong I’m not anti 30’s I’m just anti not being in my twenties anymore. I loved my twenties and I’m even looking forward to my forties (that’s going to be my I don’t give a crap stage) but your 30’s! They are so blah!
Twenties are the time to discover the world around you, to experiment different things, to fall in love and out of love, to make life long friends, to make mistakes but most importantly your twenties are the time you will say,”I am never going to drink again!” but then get wasted the next day. To honor and celebrate my twenties I will be making a mini series of articles all about your 30’s entitled SUCK IT 30’s! So to kick off my suck it 30’s I was going to make a list of all the things I want to accomplish by the time I’m 30. Only one problem, I’m going to be thirty in a few months so I can’t start now. So instead I decide to take the list of a fellow blogger and see how I stacked up to her 30 by the time you 30 bucket list. Here is the link to her full article http://gentwenty.com/bucket-list-30-things-to-do-before-you-turn-30/
Bucket List: 30 Things to Do Before You Turn 30
1.Travel somewhere you don’t know the languages Lets see I have gone to New York, Chicago, Mexico, Washington DC, Washington state, Hawaii, and Colorado. The local people always spoke English or Spanish which I know both. But I’m still going to out it because my younger brother would travel with us and he claims he speaks English but half the time I can’t understand what he is telling me so I’m going to count it. Check!
2. Date someone who isn’t your “type.”: Duh!!! I not only dated him but I married him! Check!
3. Start your 401(k).:Check! Well sorta of the papers are filled out I just have to turn them in. Check!
4. Take a risk: Go bungee jumping or skydiving or swim with sharks.: I visit my mom in East LA once a month if that isn’t a risk then I don’t know what is. If I want to live to see my 40’s I’m not going to go bungee jumping or skydiving or swim with any kind of sharks thank you very much!
5. Buy some stocks.:Yeah. No. I don’t. Maybe next year.
6. Get in a heated political debate.: Of course I have had heated political debates! How dare they say Michelle Obama wore the wrong thing to meet a foreign leader she was in her right to wear that pant suit! Check!
7. Stop holding grudges.: This one was hard to do but I am glad that I have grown enough as a person to be able to check this off. Check!
8. Start a collection.: I never thought about it as a collection but I guess I do have one. I love collecting different types of mugs. Check!
9. Take a cross-country road trip.: This one I have been wanting to do for sometime. I just can’t see myself doing it until my little one is a little bit older. Even if I don’t take her with me I still can’t think of leaving her behind just go on a road trip. I would miss her too much. But whenever I am ready it’s going to be an all girls road trip!
10. Pay off your credit card debt.: This one I have checked, unchecked, checked again and currently have it unchecked. It’s an ongoing battle.
11. Attend a multi-day/weekend music festival.: This sounds like an awesome thing to do BEFORE I had a kid. I just can’t see myself doing it right now. Its one of those things shoulda, woulda, coulda.
12. Set a reading goal.: I LOVE READING! Total nerd alert! So there was no need for me to set a reading goal but I did have to set a limit on how many books I can buy in a year. (I’m old school I don’t like I Pads or Kindles to read)
13.Overcome a fear. : Not sure what kind of fear she is referring to but I did have a huge fear of giving birth and since I have my child next to me and not inside of me anymore I will count this one as Check!
14. Get a tattoo.: I have been wanting to get one forever but my husband would die if I ever got a tattoo. So I will probably just wait until I’m in between marriages to get one. I was thinking an anchor with my baby girls name. I know typical tattoo but I love it!
15. Join a club.: I wanted to join a book club but I never actually did. I think it was because I couldn’t find a book club with members under the age of 70!
16. Treat yourself to something really expensive.: How about my house or my car do those things count? Check!
17. Be the first person to apologize.: I apologize all day at work! Hahaha! Yes I know you were supposed to have your product 3 weeks ago and I am very sorry that we wont have your product for another 8 weeks, I do apologize for the delay. In my personal life I have always apologized if I believe an apology was deserved.
18. Run a marathon.: I have done walks but never actual ran a marathon. Does it count if I power walked? If I power walk next to a sail that would be practically sprinting the entire marathon. Sorta Check!
19. Forgive yourself for mistakes.: Speaking seriously this is actually very hard for me to do. I still give myself a hard time for mistakes I have done years ago. I can be driving and then it just pops in my head and I feel terrible for days thinking what would my life be like if I didn’t make that mistake. This is something that I’m constantly trying to fix.
20. Learn how to cook.: Bitch I’m Mexican of course I know how to cook! I would like to take an Italian cooking class though. Or better yet one of those cooking classes where you drink and drink and drink wine. Wait I think that’s not a class…. What I meant to say is I want to go wine tasting. Silly Me. Check!
21. Eat really expensive cuisine.: How expensive?? I actually have done this and I don’t really care for it. I can eat cheap and just as good and still have money left over to go shopping. Check!
22. Pay it forward.: I haven’t done this in a big way but I have done little things here and there. The most recent one was when I was in a drive thru and I paid for the lady’s order behind me. She had basically ordered every dollar item on the menu and she had a boat load of kids in her car. A simple act of kindness goes a long way. Check!
23. Attempt to break a world record.: I try this everyday!!! I try to break the record for the person who an stays asleep the longest but my darn kid wakes me every time she gets hungry. So needy. Needy baby greedy baby. (only Big Bang Theory fans will get that)
24. Attend the Olympic Games.: Not that I’m not patriotic but I really wouldn’t care to attend the Olympic games. Don’t get me wrong I will watch a game here and there but I’m not a hard-core fan.
25. Pick a cause and be passionate about it.: I am hoping to make this one of my future goals. To be able to find a cause and dedicate time and effort to it. So far I’ve helped causes here and there but haven’t found the one that has made me super passionate over it.
26. Make your family tree.: It seems like every time we talk about my family we do an outline of our family tree. We end up using a whole tree worth of paper writing everyone’s names down and before we even finish we give up and wonder why we even started this in the first place.
27. See a Broadway play.: A couple of years ago my sister-in-law took me to go see Wicked. It was amazing I even told her that we just have to go see another play. Since then we have planned to go see a play around 7 different times but haven’t made it to any of them. Check!
28. Work a menial job.: When you have been working at a job for a really long time and it becomes boring and repetitive then no matter what that job is it becomes a menial job. So I would like to check this three times! Check! Check! Check! p.s why would this be on anyone’s bucket list!!!
29. Become a connoisseur in something.: Ugh! I feel at this point she couldn’t think of anything else to write so she is just making up dumb things to write down. I’m one of those people when I find something interesting I must know everything about it but I wouldn’t consider myself a connoisseur of anything.
30. And finally, make a list of 40 Things to do Before You Turn 40.: I haven’t done it yet but you know when I do I will post it. Pre -Check! (lol gross)
14 checks out of 30!
Good thing this isn’t a school test if not I would have totally failed. It was very interesting what things are important to some people while others find them absolutely pointless. Like the connoisseur things come on! Really? Well the count down now begins. My really goals to hopefully meet by the time I am 30 is finding my new house, getting in shape, and passing my classes!